Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas Canon

I like many different kinds of music, but unfortunately, true classical music is not one of them. Soundtrack scores I’ll do, but large, flamboyant classical pieces are not exactly my thing. But there is one piece that I absolutely love, and it’s about as cliché as you can get. Pachelbel’s Canon in D. There are probably more covers of that piece, than any other classical piece out there, but I like all of them. But there’s one I like best, and that’s “Christmas Canon.”

Ever since I was very little, this has been one of my very favorite songs. Some little girls were cranking up Hannah Montana (may she rest in peace), and I was cranking up The Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It would come on the radio, and STAND BACK because I would be running for the volume dial. I didn’t understand any of the lyrics other than “on this night, on this night, on this Merry Christmas night,” but that didn’t stop me from singing along, lyrics or no.


There’s not much more I can say about this song, other than that it’s pretty much my oldest favorite Christmas song.


2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing because that's the only classical piece that I have ever been able to identify and love (there's another but I forgot the name of it - such is my passion). (Only I have to say that I began to develop a loathing for Canon in D when it was played as an offertory. Repeatedly and excessively.) My husband, on the other hand, is a classical music affectionado and HATES Canon in D. :D So....I laughed when I saw your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yeah, I don't know about having it played into the ground as an offeratory. That could ruin it for me too I think. It can be a rather overused piece. I think I know half a dozen girls who walked down the aisle to it.

      Delete